1440 minutes in a day


I love helping and interacting with readers on the Reboot Support Page. It is a great way to publicly get support or to connect with privately through messages and not have the world know. I'm the only one that reads the messages that come in.

The page allows for the sharing of tips, ideas and experiences, and also provides the ability for my mind to be open and engaged as people continually send me messages with questions about my reboot and my ongoing juicing lifestyle. Juicing has given me my life back. This is not a trend or a diet for me, this is my new lifestyle. Without it, I'd still be way fat.

The following blog was inspired from a recent conversation with someone. It covers questions about juicers, pulp, recipes, motivation, tips, weight gain / loss question and more...

"I am trying to so research now to figure out if the breville you have been using is more effective then the juicer I am using."

Things to consider:
What is your overall goal with a juicer? Are you looking for the highest juice yield? The fastest way to make a juice? A quick and easy cleanup? A long warranty? All of these are factors when deciding what is most effective. All of these will be different for each person. Which is why it can be hard to read a review and just say, Oh... that's me too, 100%, I want that one for that reason. Usually there are other factors that the reader and the review writer don't share but that come into play.

Also, is the reviewer being compensated?
I'm not. Breville probably doesn't know I exist. I can't image they know me from a spot on the wall at their competitor's break room. With that said, I love the Breville for what it does for me now. However, the more I look into things, the more I want the Norwalk (but it is $2,495) or a high end Omega, but I'm not sure how easy it is to clean. I'll be heading to YouTube to watch some videos and see.

Why do this? Well, times are changing and my little man is almost four so I'll have more time to do things. Also, as I stood over the Breville this weekend, cleaning it, I started thinking about the overall time it takes to juice and clean a juicer. I love that I can literally make a juice with 5 or more ingredients in literally 2 to 5 minutes. I just love that!

Then, the cleanup, and scrubbing the screen (filter) and the other parts has to be done too. I don't know how long it would take to clean an Omega. I know it takes longer to make the actual juice. I've heard as long as 30 minutes. But typically 10 to 20, depending on the ingredients. The prep time and juicing time is what takes the longest. If cleaning is also difficult or lengthy, then that would be a factor to weigh in on as well.

I just watched two videos and it looks like someone might have to then strain their juice if they use a masticating juicer, as it doesn't have a built in filter / screen like the Breville does. I am not sure how long that would take, but it would be one more thing to consider too.

When it comes down to it, each person is unique and you need to decide what is most important to you.

For me, and my family, it is time. I need to have the ability to make a juice fast. Even if that means I come back and clean the juicer in 10 to 30 minutes, as I'm in high demand. I can't imaging standing in front of the juicer, feeding it produce and fruit for 10 to 30 minutes, just to get a juice. Worst case, if my juicer sat on the counter dirty until nap time, it would be "okay" as the juice would be made and the kids would be cared for. Sure beats (in my opinion) having a juice half made and having to stop for 20 or 30 minutes due to kids needing me and then have to come back and commence juicing again.

"How dry is your pulp typically?"

It depends on what the item is. Tomatoes are always wet. Carrots are pretty dry. Apples, somewhere in the middle, depending on the brand. Fujis are pretty dry though and that is what I use the most.

I love juicing grapes with the vines on, and the efficiency of the Breville and it's ability to juice without having to remove them is pretty awesome! Not having to slice / cut up most items is key to making the juices, fast!

Eating FOOD while Juicing
"Yesterday was supposed to be day one... I made it till dinner and after I cooked for my family I ended up eating too."

Any day can be "Day one" just know that Day two is only 24 hours away and that you can build upon that number without doing much, as no matter what you do, the next day is coming, the earth is rotating and the next day is coming.

The question is, are you going to keep eating the way you are, and possibly still keep being sluggish, tired, unhappy or remain the way you are today? The answer is most likely yes, unless you say no, and do something about it.

No one else can eat for you.
It has to be a choice and an action. A choice without action is typically just a thought that doesn't evolve into anything worthwhile.

Cooking and feeding a family... while the cook is juicing!
Is it possible? Yes!
I understand the feeling and the literal requirements of having to cook for the family. In Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead, Joe and Phil were able to get away. They didn't have family and friends around them, demanding them, tempting them, eating around and oddly eyeballing them. Instead, they left home. They ventured out, or in Phil's case, went to a hotel. This would be a lot easier if we all could do this. In reality though, most people can't pull themselves away and go juice for 30, 60 or 90 days. Especially if the responsibility of feeding and caring for their families falls on the juicer. When you are going through your reboot, keep that in mind. You truly are accomplishing more than they did with each meal that you juice while your family is there too. Each time you do this, you take a step in the right direction, in accomplishing your overall goal(s). Today is a new day! And a day that only you get to make choices on that will impact and improve your overall health and quality of life!

Tips while cooking while juicing.
Might I suggest, have a juice at the ready, before you start cooking. Have it on the counter, next to the stove. Consume it while you cook. Have it in arm's reach. Then, as you cook, drink it. It takes about 10 to 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that you are full. By the time you finish cooking, you're stomach will most likely be communicating with your brain and you may feel pretty full and satisfied. This can help limit the desire to sit down and eat more food and also limit the amount of food you consume while eating, mainly because your stomach is full. Then, after dinner is made. Grab the juice and go sit down and socialize like normal. Don't worry about not having a plate in front of you. It is one less dishe to clean. :-) Just enjoy the family and the time with them.

With 1440 minutes in a day, a lot of people get fatter and unhealthier in a 30 to 50 minute span (spread throughout the day) as they consume unhealthy, less nutritious foods and beverages. Most people don't spend more than 10 minutes actually eating per meal. But, once the food is gone, they tend to consume snacks, sodas, other caloric beverages and sweet foods to satisfy little urges and hunger feelings throughout the day. The body sends almost (if not exactly) the same feelings for hunger and thirst. Therefore, if someone "feels" hungry they really should drink a glass of water and then wait 5 to 10 minutes to see if they were really hungry or just interpreting their bodies "thirst" for "hunger," as so many people mistakenly do.

It seems like your taste buds did some changing. Do you now ever crave vegetables that you didn't like before?"

I started out juicing the items that I knew I liked "raw" and steamed" and then I ventured out to other items. Yes, taste buds do change. You can look it up online, taste buds change and as you consume more or different things, they slowly adapt and desire more and more of what you are consuming. If all you ate was pizza, day in and day out, you would desire pizza, as that is what the body is used to.

Humans tend to be creatures of habits and for some reason, easy and tasty tend to be the way of life for most. But then, unhealthy lives and many Dr. Appointments come up. I was buying avocados yesterday when I noticed that the lady in front of me (and I used to be the same way, so I am not trying to judge her, just observing) had everything processed on the conveyor belt. Nothing was fresh. Then I saw it, the bottle of pills. I wasn't looking for them, but they were what stood out to me. Besides two headaches (one at the start of my reboot and the other about a month ago after I consumed some gyozas that my little man wanted me to "bite," I haven't had a headache since January 2013... almost 5 months (4 1/2 months)! My eating and overall health has improved. I don't spend money on processed foods, nor do I spend money on pills, medications or other things that I would be, if I was "sick" often or even sick from "time to time." In my opinion, it isn't "normal" to have headaches or to be "sick" from time to time, so long as the body is getting what it needs. I try to keep myself active, and consuming highly nutritious foods.

"Did you gain any of the weight back when adding solids back in?"
Not at all. Also, I am still juicing and still working out. I still want to get to 166 pounds. We just spent the weekend on the road for a family reunion and my weight didn't change upon returning home. I was careful. When we went out for my Dad's birthday to Joe's Crab Shack, I ordered a salad. not a dumb "side salad" but a hearty, BIG salad!

What can a person do to eat well, but not make a scene if they want more than just a "side salad" at a restaurant?

I go through their menu and select items that they list on other salads or entrees and then I write them all down, quietly hand the list / request to the manager and ask if they will make a salad with those ingredients. I have never had a manager say no. The manager has always looked over the list, told me the items they didn't have and what they did have and then said yes. The salad comes out with everyone else's food. There wasn't a big scene made and I looked "normal" to anyone else.

Before, when I was juicing 100%, I would simply consume my juice on the way to the restaurant or before we left. At times, I'd bring it in a metal water bottle and drink it at the restaurant and would tell the waiter; "I'm good." or that "I already ate." This did a few things, one it made it so the bill overall bill was less and it freed me up to help with kids, since I wasn't physically eating my meal at the restaurant. And, it allowed me to talk and communicate more, so I was actually move social than normal. Kind of cool to interact with the family, not just stuff in food the entire night.

This weekend was a bit of a challenge.
Two days I didn't really "juice" and even when I did, I accidentally left the juice at the reunion site. So, I had to order the salad that I mentioned above. On those days, I went vegetable (the salad) and fruit... I made guacamole (which is technically fruit), and consumed that. For me, it was better to eat something "healthy" then nothing at all, and I didn't want the chocolate covered pretzels that were in my wife's purse, hand, mouth... what is she doing!???  haha  I just smiled and continued on.
No one can eat for me. No one can be healthy for me. This can only be done by myself.

"Thank you for the support by the way!"
Anytime, I'm glad I can give you some insights to my juicing experience and the life I have because of it!

Here is a pdf of the Breville booklet that I pull several recipes from
http://www.brevilleusa.com/media/mediaappearance/4532/BJE200XL.pdf

I also use a lot of the recipes on www.makeitvegan.com/juice-recipes

If you have 15% or more to lose, this challenge really got me going! And the payout can potentially be 3 to 16 times the challenge above. With this one, "All participants who lose at least 15% of their Body Weight will win Cash." The cool thing is only 300 people are allowed in each group and then another one starts forming. The payout for 25% or more is a split of $5,000!

And as always, come on by my Reboot Support page on Facebook page and say hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment